Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Venthaya keerai kootu (Methi leaves kootu)


I just love any kind of greens, though it was not the same always. When I was growing up my grandpa insisted on cooking greens every day, so naturally when ever there was no greens I was just so happy.But after I left home for hostels I really started to miss the greens.Now when ever I visit the grocery shop I do not leave without greens.
I like preparing kootu with Venthaya keerai because the light bitterness of this greens gives flavor to the bland mung dal.


Ingredients:
1 Bunch - Methi leaves
1/2 cup - Split mung dal
5 Pods - Garlic
2 Nos - Red chilly (broken into half)
1 Tsp - Cumin Seeds
1 Tsp - Cumin powder
1 Sprig - Curry leaves
1 Tbsp - Oil
1 Pinch - Turmeric powder
5 Nos - Shallots(Peeled & sliced)
Salt to taste.
Method:
Soak the mung dal in water for half an hour.
Remove the methi leaves from the stem and wash thoroughly.
Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds.
When the cumin seeds pop, add red chilly, curry leaves,shallots and saute.
Now add the garlic, drained mung dal, methi leaves,turmeric powder,cumin powder,and salt.
add water as required.
Cover and cook till the dal is well done.
Serve as an accompaniment to any curry or just enjoy with plain white rice.

No comments:

You might also like :

Blog Widget by LinkWithin